2017 Pintas 'Character' 92WA
Wine & Soul
Douro Valley, Portugal
- Terroir within Pintas of younger 50-70 years-old vines
- Field blend of mostly the BIG THREE red grapes of Portugal:
- Touriga Nacional (Portugal's Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Touriga Franca (Portugal's Cabernet Franc)
- Tinta Roriz (actually Tempranillo)
- 18 months in 80% used new French oak (20% new)
- In my mind "Character" is reminiscent of a love child from the obverse Loire Valley and Bordeaux Cabernet Franc, but maybe a little more Loire in this cooler year.
92 pts Robert Parker Wine Advocate
The 2017 Pintas Character is a field blend from old vines aged for 18 months in 80% used French oak. It comes in at 14% alcohol. Originally seen as a tank sample in Portugal last June, this is now bottled and in the USA. Although for the most part I tended to prefer the 2017s with the Manoellas, here I might pick the 2016 Character. Perhaps that is simply because this is less evolved. In terms of fruit intensity, this seems more concentrated (as with the Manoellas) but a little less complex. While there is that concentration of fruit, making this seem more like the essence of dry fruit, it feels no fuller in the mouth. And yet...as this airs out, it leaves more than a favorable impression. The gorgeous concentration of fruit—even while the wine never becomes jammy—makes me think this will win out in the end. It is just a little shy now.