2018 Pintas 'Character' 90WA
Wine & Soul
Douro Valley, Portugal
- Terroir within Pintas of younger 50-70 years-old vines
- Field blend of mostly the BIG THREE red grapes of Portugal:
- Touriga Nacional (Portugal's Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Touriga Franca (Portugal's Cabernet Franc)
- Tinta Roriz (actually Tempranillo)
- 18 months in 80% used new French oak (20% new)
- In my mind "Character" is reminiscent of a love child from the obverse Loire Valley and Bordeaux Cabernet Franc, but maybe a little more Loire in this cooler year.
90 pts Robert Parker Wine Advocate
The 2018 Pintas Character is a field blend (over 30 grapes, but the majority are Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz and Touriga Nacional) from old vines aged for 18 months in 20% new French oak. It comes in at 14.8% alcohol. As tends to be the case, this has some similarities—like approachability and good balance—with the Manoella Tinto this issue, but this adds more concentration and power. It seems more substantial and serious, showing more grip on the longer and more intense finish. I don't know that this will turn into anything more special in the cellar—probably not—but it should hold well for the rest of the decade, more or less. The tannins are not hard, so it drinks decently now. It will be better next fall.