2018 Guru 93WS
Wine & Soul
Douro Valley, Portugal
I buy this wine every year personally and love it. While it has a real sense of white Burgundy, very Meursault-like, for me it has become a staple of the Douro Valley and the wine has made some major strides in pulling back on the oak a lot since the first vintage I had of the 2010. For me in the character of the wine's density and minerality, as well as the clean, precise fruit profile signify it's true terroir expression.
- Ties a best-ever rating for this wine in 2018
- One of the top white wines from the Douro
- A great lieu-dit Meursault always comes to mind when I taste this, salty, minerally, with some nut and precise citrus and orchard fruits.
- Restaurant PerSe in NYC, poured this by the glass as their answer for a White Burgundy
- Vines are 50 years old, granite and schiste soils
- 2 high elevation parcels in the northern Douro Valley mountaintops to preserve freshness and acidity
- A judicious 6 months in only 30% new French oak barrique, the rest used barrique and tonneau
- Equal parts 4 indigenous and important white grapes:
- Rabigato - Gouveio
- Viosinho - Codega do Larinho
93 pts Wine Spectator
100 cases imported
This shows a lot of finesse, with a hint of toast weaving through the lemon blossom, fresh heather and ripe white peach flavors, lightly detailed by ethereal accents of spice, mineral and chamomile tea. Like a fine white Burgundy, this medium-bodied white should age nicely. Rabigato, Viosinho, Gouveio and Côdega do Larinho. Drink now through 2027.