2020 Guru 93WA
Wine & Soul
Douro Valley, Portugal
I buy this wine every year personally and love it. While it has a real sense of white Burgundy, very Meursault-like, for me it has become a staple of the Douro Valley and the wine has made some major strides in pulling back on the oak a lot since the first vintage I had of the 2010. For me in the character of the wine's density and minerality, as well as the clean, precise fruit profile signify it's true terroir expression.
- Ties a best-ever rating for this wine in 2018
- One of the top white wines from the Douro
- A great lieu-dit Meursault always comes to mind when I taste this, salty, minerally, with some nut and precise citrus and orchard fruits.
- Restaurant PerSe in NYC, poured this by the glass as their answer for a White Burgundy
- Vines are 50 years old, granite and schiste soils
- 2 high elevation parcels in the northern Douro Valley mountaintops to preserve freshness and acidity
- A judicious 6 months in only 30% new French oak barrique, the rest used barrique and tonneau
- Equal parts 4 indigenous and important white grapes:
- Rabigato - Gouveio
- Viosinho - Codega do Larinho
93 pts Wine Advocate
100 cases imported
The 2020 Guru is a field blend from old vines (60 years), mostly Viosinho, Rabigato, Códega do Larinho and Gouveio, aged for eight months in 91% used French oak. It comes in very dry and at 12.4% alcohol. This is another fine year for what has become one of Douro's finest whites. I don't think it is equal to the 2019, the last reviewed, but it is also quite unevolved and capable of significant improvement. It is very elegant in terms of mid-palate finesse and very dry in terms of its fruit profile. It always seems fresh and lively, not anything like an oaky and fat white. The key calling card here, though, is the structure. Powerful on the finish, this simply grips the palate and won't let go. The fruit always holds its own. This is going to need a couple of years to show everything it has—not that it is so bad to drink today—but it certainly looks like another splendid offering in this brand.