2016 Nervi Conterno Gattinara
There are no single vineyards as Conterno only made the normale in 2015. The single-vineyard wines for 2016 will be released later. This is a no brainer if you are a fan of Nebbiolo, Barolo, Barbaresco, etc.
- 100% Nebbiolo (aka Spanna)
- Site: Varying expositions at 290-420 meters in elevation.
- Soil: Volcanic soil rich in minerals and clay with good drainage.
- Gentle destemming and crushing
- Fermentation in stainless steel vats at controlled temperatures
- Post-fermentation soak, macerated at least 15 days
Aged for 30 months in large neutral oak botti barrels
- Aged a final 6 months in concrete vats
94 pts Vinous Media (Galloni)Nervi's 2016 Gattinara from Nervi is superb. Sweet red cherry, mint, juniper berry and wild flowers are some of the many notes that soar out of the glass. The 2016 is distinguished by its brilliant aromatic presence and tremendous purity of fruit. Even just bottled, the 2016 exudes precision and nuance to burn. Of course, the 2016 needs time, but readers who want to get a sense of what the future holds at Nervi will get plenty of answers here. This is such a captivating wine.