Le Vieux Donjon 2019 98D/94-96JD
Chateauneuf du Pape
Southern Rhone, FR
Things you maybe did not know about Vieux Donjon:
- Rayas' Neighbor - The vines are in the lieu-dit of Piedlong which is the highest point in Châteauneuf du Pape, right next to Rayas.
- Evening temps are 10 to 15 degrees below the Châteauneuf norm. The region's famous cold and powerful mistral wind whips across the Piedlong plateau lowering temps and keeping the bunches dry and fresh.
- Vieux Donjon's Michel family age their wines patiently in tank and foudre, using no new wood.
- There also is no separate old-vine super cuvee made at Donjon, ensuring that the oldest and best vines go into the flagship wine.
Matt Walls has the Rhone beat at Decanter in the UK - he say that the 2019 is “the most impressive barrel sample of Vieux Donjon I’ve ever tasted.”
“exceptional … combining elegance with power.” In other words, it’s a year tailor-made for Vieux Donjon’s explosively perfumed and graceful, yet structured, style. “profound stuff, juicy, sweet, chocolatey tannins and great concentration”
Wall’s other top 3 wine sof the 2019 vintage?
1) Beaucastel’s Hommage à Jacques Perrin
2) Clos des Papes
3) Le Vieux Donjon
94-96 Jeb Dunnuck
A beautifully textured, medium to full-bodied, classic effort from this team, the 2019 Châteauneuf Du Pape boasts a deeper ruby/purple color, traditional notes of ground pepper, Provençal garrigue, smoked meat, and red and black fruits, a terrific mid-palate, ripe, silky tannins, and a great, great finish. This is an outstanding vintage for this cuvée that’s going to benefit from 2-3 years of bottle age and keep for 20 years or more.