Riserva 'Berardenga' 92RP/93VM
Chianti Classico 2017
Berardenga, Chianti Classico, Tuscany
$37.99, $34.99 ON 4+
Mix & Match for the Deepest Deal
- Southwestern exposure vineyards, they sprawl across ventilated slopes at an altitude ranging from 320 to 420 meters above sea level.
- Geologically, the terrains are mixed: in the higher sections the soil is predominantly rock quartz and calcareous alberese mixed with alluvial pebbles; strataform sandstone and loam characterize the vineyards on the edge of the Colli Senesi (further south)
- A mix of old vines and those replanted in 90s-00s
- De-stemmed and pressed, the must is fermented and macerated in stainless steel for 12-16 days at cooler temps to preserve fruit, aromatics and freshness.
- In March-April after malo is complete, the new wine goes into medium-size Slavonian oak barrels, and into twice and thrice used French oak barrels for 14-16 months of maturation
- The final blend is assembled, bottled, and aged in bottle 3-6 more months.
93 pts Vinous Galloni
The 2017 Chianti Classico Riserva is a total knock-out. Sumptuous and enveloping, but with plenty of structure to support it all, the 2017 captures all the best elements of the house style. Succulent black cherry, worn-in leather, smoke, licorice and espresso all build in the glass as the 2017 shows off its curves. More than anything else, the 2017 is a wine of tremendous pleasure.
92 pts Robert Parker Wine Advocate
The Fèlsina 2017 Chianti Classico Riserva Berardenga (with 70,000 bottles made) is a rich and sultry expression of pure Sangiovese with dark fruit intensity and a beautiful contouring of spice, leather and tar. This wine hits the intensity nail on the head without the overt over-ripeness that we saw in many of its peers from this hot and dry vintage. I would not recommend an especially long drinking window, but I can enthusiastically recommend this authentic taste of Chianti Classico for near or medium-term drinking. The Riserva ages in large Slavonian oak casks for 12 months.