Riserva 'Berardenga' 93RP/93VM
Chianti Classico 2018
Berardenga, Chianti Classico, Tuscany
$37.99, $34.99 ON 4+ (code: 4saves3)
Mix & Match for the Deepest Deal
- Southwestern exposure vineyards, they sprawl across ventilated slopes at an altitude ranging from 320 to 420 meters above sea level.
- Geologically, the terrains are mixed: in the higher sections the soil is predominantly rock quartz and calcareous alberese mixed with alluvial pebbles; strataform sandstone and loam characterize the vineyards on the edge of the Colli Senesi (further south)
- A mix of old vines and those replanted in 90s-00s
- De-stemmed and pressed, the must is fermented and macerated in stainless steel for 12-16 days at cooler temps to preserve fruit, aromatics and freshness.
- In March-April after malo is complete, the new wine goes into medium-size Slavonian oak barrels, and into twice and thrice used French oak barrels for 14-16 months of maturation
- The final blend is assembled, bottled, and aged in bottle 3-6 more months.
93 pts Vinous Galloni
The 2018 Chianti Classico Riserva is a powerful, brooding wine. Readers will have to be patient with the 2018, as it needs time to soften. The tannins are especially potent today. Time brings out a whole range of black cherry, plum, gravel, spice, game and leather notes. The Riserva spent 16 months in oak of various sizes.
93 pts Robert Parker Wine Advocate
Sporting broad shoulders and a brawny texture, the 2018 Chianti Classico Riserva Berardenga is one of those wines that you can drink throughout the entire meal from antipasto, to pasta to the meat dish. This Riserva offers dark fruit, ripe cherry, plum and soft concentration throughout. Its ample textual fiber is loosened up and refreshed by the pretty vein of crisp acidity that is so characteristic of Sangiovese.