Wine & Soul
Douro Valley, Portugal
95 pts Wine Advocate
Pintas is one of Portugal's greatest red wines and one of it's best vineyards. Starting in 2001 with the first vintage, this has been one of the most iconic wines in a small cadre of top red wines from Portugal. If you love the wines of Bordeaux, the Northern Rhone, Napa and Rioja, Pintas has some nods to these regions but is truly its own unique expression of this incredible vineyard site.
- One of the top wines in all of Portugal, a complexity beast!
- One of my all-time favorite wines and vineyards in all of the world.
- A classic representation of Douro Valley terroir
- Field blend of 30+ grapes
- Vines 87+ years-old
- Steep schist hard rock terraces
- 20 months in only 30% new French oak
- More Northern Rhone meets Bordeaux in style
- Will age for 20+ years easy, likely 30+
- One of my favorite wines, I buy this every year
- Decant 1-3 hours, though optimal with a few years of age
95 points Robert Parker Wine Advocate
The 2018 Pintas is a field blend (over 40 grapes, but the dominant grapes are Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz and Touriga Nacional) from old vines (around 90 years) aged for 20 months in 30% new French oak. It comes in at 14.8% alcohol. Big, fruity and textured with velvet, this is a sexy Pintas with good balance, intensity of flavor and plenty of concentration. The oak needs to be pulled in over a couple of years, but this delicious Pintas is hard to resist even now. It should develop well and improve over the next decade (or two). How well it develops will determine its final ceiling. It is already a star. The question now is how brightly it will shine. I'm not sure it will outdo the recent vintages, but it should hang with them just fine.