Commune: Castiglione Falletto Vineyard
Parcel(s): Freisa parcel, inside the cru Bricco Boschis (100% Freisa).
Drinking Window: 2019-2029
Vineyard Size: .46 ha
Vineyard Character: hillside inside a protected bowl
• Full destemming; fermentation with indigenous yeasts only.
• Use of Horizontal Fermentation tanks.
• Traditional fermentation with semi-submerged cap with punch-downs and pump-overs.
• Controlled fermentation temperature at 29°C on indigenous yeasts.
• Total maceration time: 3-5 days.
• Malolactic Fermentation in cement tanks during spring following the harvest.
• Aged in steel tanks for 12-15 months
• After bottling, the wine is aged in the cellars for a minimum of 6 months before release.
Vintage Characteristics: Freisa is a cousin grape of Nebbiolo. After its slumber in large botti for one year, this wine emerges from the glass with blackberry and raspberry fruit, a graphite minerality, and precise, focused acidity that adds both weight and balance to the final wine. Tannins are straightforward but velvety ripe. It will pair well with a wide variety of meals, especially braised meats with polenta (for winter) or different types of salumi (for summer).
Pairing Suggestions: TThis wine finds its best matches at the table, with appetizers of sliced meats such as prosciutto, salami and lardo; also Alba beef tartare and vitello tonnato. The wine is also good with pasta and pizza, simple red meat dishes in general, or with seasoned cheeses.