Vineyard Parcel(s): Various inside Bricco Boschis, Codana and Pernanno; grown in 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo parcels.
Vineyard Size: various, depends on vintage. Declassified fruit for Barolo.
Vineyard Character: hillside, ridge top, bowls, slopes.
Slope Direction: South-East, South, South-West, West
Drinking Window: 2019-2029
• Full destemming; fermentation with indigenous yeasts only.
• Use of Vertical and Horizontal Fermentation tanks.
• Traditional fermentation with semi-submerged cap with punch-downs and pump-overs.
• Controlled fermentation temperature at 29°C on indigenous yeasts.
• Total maceration time: 18-30 days.
• Malolactic Fermentation in cement tanks during spring following the harvest.
• Cask ageing for 15-18 months in Slavonian Oak botti of 20-30-50-80-100 hl.
• Bottled 31 May 2018
• After bottling, the wine was aged in our cellars for a minimum of 6 months before release.
Vintage Characteristics: The potential for greatness in the 2016 wines made from Nebbiolo is undeniable. Sometimes consecutive vintages are indelibly linked; perhaps in 20 years Barolisti will be arguing the merits of 2015 and 2016 in the same way we discussed 1970-1971, 1985-1986, 1989-1990 and even 2000-2001. The 2016 wines show at their core a steely, precise reserve; at this early point in their development they are closed and impenetrable. The vintage, notwithstanding the hard hail and numerous rains, also gave us happy results for the other grapes as the near-perfect conditions did not encourage the spread of grape diseases and we were able to use organic farming processes to maximum effect. It is a vintage where all the wines show great site-specific transparency.