95 Robert Parker Wine Advocate
The 2013 Barolo Riserva Vignolo surprises for the sheer darkness and saturation of its color. Upfront and without too much bother, the wine offers immediate richness and concentration with dark berry fruit, plum and dried cherry. There is a lot of intensity here, but the wine is more horizontal and broad in character than it is vertical per se. In other words, it shows a heavy center of gravity, and its very character is focused on richness and power. This wine ages in 20- and 100-hectoliter Slavonian oak botti for up to five years before its commercial release. Production is exactly 6,666 bottles.
Commune: Castiglione Falletto
Vineyard Parcel(s): Various inside the Vignolo MGA
Vineyard Size: 1.35 ha
Vineyard Character: steep hillside
Slope Direction: South-West
Drinking Window: 2020-2038
• Full destemming; fermentation with indigenous yeasts only.
• Use of Horizontal Fermentation tanks.
• Traditional fermentation with semi-submerged cap with punch-downs and pump-overs.
• Controlled fermentation temperature at 29°C on indigenous yeasts.
• Total maceration time: 30-35 days.
• Malolactic Fermentation in cement tanks during spring following the harvest.
• Cask aging for 48-60 months in Slavonian Oak botti of 20-30-50-80-100 hl.
• Bottled 12 September 2018
• After bottling, the wine was aged in our cellars for a minimum of 12 months before release.
From this cru come wines of excellent structure with tannins that are soft and sweet from early in its life.. The perfume is typically intense and open, evolving into an intense spiced fruit. The initial perfumes are fruity and then followed by floral aspects, then spices, all open and intense. Generally excellent cellaring potential, though the wine is very enjoyable at an early age.
Vintage Characteristics: The vintage is characterized by a delicate, haunting effect in the Nebbiolo-based wines, due to the silkiness of the tannins and the balanced but not aggressive acidity.